Friday 8 October 2010

Week 40 Challenge - Make Your Own Embellishments

Hi Lou here and it's been simply ages since I have been able to join in with the Polka Doodlers for a weekly challenge but I am really excited to be back! This week I though it would be nice if we all showed off how we make our own embellishments for our projects, so this weeks theme is simply . . .

"make your own embellishments!"

But first thing first, the winners from challenge 38 (which was a hidden element) are:

First Place: Vee
Second Place: Candy
Third Place: JLJ Designs

Congratulations! Please email Nikky for your blinkies!

Good luck in entering our challenge this week - please remember that the maximum number of challenges you can combine with the Polkadoodle entry is 10 and you must follow the specific theme. Closing date is Sunday 17 October at 12noon GMT.


Lou: I have used the ever so versatile Floral Birdcage Stamp which I have layered to give the birdcage element some depth and "curve appeal"! My papers are from the "Back to Nature" CD and I have layered everything up with simple mats and layers of card. My handmade embellishment is the huge flower made by punching and layering several scalloped circles finished with a huge brad centre. To finish off the card, I made a matching bag and tag.


Kris: I really tried making some different types of flowers from several tutorials I've seen lately and they all just looked awful! so I reverted to some layered circles for my flowers. Simply punch or cut 1" and 1 1/2" circles and then start "hacking" them up with some decorative edged scissors. You then cut towards the center 8-9 times and then bend the petals up for dimension. The background paper is the first paper I printed from the Sundae of Seasons. I love plaid and these colors are just vibrant. I wanted to focus on the scarecrow image (also from the Sundae of Seasons) so I just added some deep red cardstock for mats, the flowers, a tag with stickers saying "happy fall", and three little gems.



Fliss - I decided to make something with the gorgeous Flutterby Fairies stamps so I stamped Bevvieboo and the bigger flower from the Babsie set and coloured all the elements with Promarkers. I cut everything out and added some glitter in places. I then rounded out the flowers by rubbing on the back with a large ball tool. I used gorgeous Autumn shades of paper from the Sundae of Seasons CD.


Brenda - Two from me, I had the angel one ready loaded but when I saw the new CD Sundae of Seasons had to make another. I don't usually 'do' Halloween, but the images and elements on the CD changed all that as I really love it. The haunted house is pre coloured and I enlarged it and used acetate to create a window, cut out the vampire who is also pre coloured, then cut leaves and pumpkins to embellish, adding diamond glaze to give then a sheen.



The angel is one of the new Christmas Doodle stamps, decoupaged and coloured with Copics. The papers are from Paper Boutique Creative Christmas CD, Martha Stewart arch lattice punch and some lace and punched and glittered flowers.


Tracy - For my creation everything is from the NEW Sundae Of Seasons CD Rom, the embellies I have used are a button and bow from the CD rom and glazed with glossy accents as too the Wellies and Brolly. The flowers are punched with gems for centres. The sentiment is computer generated and matted and layered with holes punched at either end to thread through two pieces of ribbon.



Emma I have embellished using the flowers from the Sundae of Seasons CD. I sculpted the petals of each flower, added a couple of leaf punchies and then added a glass bead in the centre of each. All the papers and images on this card are from the Sundae of Seasons CD.



Tracie: This week I used the Sundae of Seasons CD and the Halloween Download Bundle to make a halloween wreath using only printout and cardstock so all embellishments were made from scratch. Very simple but I love it!


Jenny This is a perfect chance for me to share a card I made using the Baking/Gardening Time Template. My crafty card is embellished with a jar of bits & bobs, a shrink plastic charm made with the Floral Birdcage Stamp, a flower and an 'I love Polka Doodles' Badge!


Claire: A picture using lots of elements from the Sundae of seasons cd to create embellishments. I have used all plain stampies and coloured with glimmer mist, alcohol inks, crackle glaze, stickles, sepia glaze, promarkers and Sakura. Martha Stewart punch to create background and some added mulberry flowers.



Lis-m. This week I have made a pinwheel flower as an embellishment. It is easily made from your punched circles from various papers. I have posted a photo type tutorial over on my blog to show you how... The papers are from Sugar Birdies and Sundae of Seasons. I used Lulu the ladybug papers (and a little from the Sundaes cd for the spotty paper) and the sentiment from the flutterfly faires to finish.


Ruth: I've kept it simple and easy! I've covered a notebook with papers from Sundae of Seasons, some very fab wide chocolate brown satin ribbon, a sentiment from the same cd and also some of the flowers, which I have layered up also from Sundae of Seasons. I've intentionally let the flowers spill over the edge of the notebook to create a tactile look.

Good luck! The closing date is 12noon GMT on Sunday 17 October. Please link your entries up with the widgit below.
*****


2 comments:

  1. Hi ladies. Fab challenge again this week. Hope you like my entry as I 'created' the image to use too, not just the embellishments!
    Tine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an great challenge
    i've just linked mine
    hope you'll like it
    hugs angelique

    ReplyDelete

Team Doodle loves to see your comments so let us know what you are up to!